Saturday, December 24, 2011

Chinese Dragon





In early 2011 I sketched a chinese dragon - my first - after I'd been pleased with one I'd made from Raku clay; my first ceramic chinese dragon. I was surprised and very pleased with these firsts, especially since I'd set myself the challenge of sketching one independent of referring to anyone else's drawings or interpretation.


Original sketch and images of the ceramic chinese dragon.

After my first tattoo in October 2011 I started to think about the chinese dragon sketch and decided to have it tattooed onto my back if my tattooist, Justin, was up to the task. I was going to shade the sketch first but decided I'd leave Justin to decide on the appropriate shading as that was his field having been a tattooist for many years. He did a wonderful job and shaded areas in ways I'd not have thought of due to an obvious lack of knowledge in tattoo application. I was very, very pleased with his work and the results. Especially since he had to battle with my elastic skin that can distaught the image. One thing about Justin, he's always up for a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment